WallPanel is an Android application for Web Based Dashboards and Home Automation Platforms. You can either sideload the application to your Android device from the release section or install the application from Google Play.
Rendering issues with the webpage you are trying to view. Android applications use a component to render webpages, it's called the WebView component. WebView is not the same as Google Chrome app, it does not render the pages the same. The biggest issue is that your version of WebView is not capable of rendering the webpage you are trying to view. The only way possible to fix this issue is to update the WebView component (from Google Play Store), use a different webpage, or update your device OS.
- Web Based Dashboards and Home Automation Platforms support.
- Set application as Android Home screen (optional)
- Use code to access the settings and make the settings button invisible.
- Camera support for streaming video, motion detection, face detection, and QR Code reading.
- Google Text-to-Speech support to speak notification messages using MQTT or HTTP.
- MQTT or HTTP commands to remotely control device and application (url, brightness, wake, etc.).
- Sensor data reporting for the device (temperature, light, pressure, battery).
- Streaming MJPEG server support using the device camera.
- Screensaver feature that can be dismissed with motion or face detection.
- Support for Android 4.4 (API level 19) and greater devices.
- Support for launching external applications using intent URL
Hardware & Software
- Android Device running Android OS 4.4 or greater. Note: The WebView shipped with Android 4.4 (KitKat) is based on the same code as Chrome for Android version 30. This WebView does not have full feature parity with Chrome for Android and is given the version number 18.104.22.168.
_ If you have need support for older Android 4.0 devices (those below Android 4.4), you want to use the legacy version of the application. Alternatively you can download an APK from the release section prior to release v0.8.8-beta.6 _
You can either side load the application to your device from the release section or install the application from Google Play. The application will open to the welcome page with a link to update the settings. Open the settings by clicking the dashboard floating icon. In the settings, set your web page or home automation platform url. Also set the code for accessing the settings, the default is 1234.
Building the Application
To build the application locally, checkout the code from Github and load the project into Android Studio with Android API 31 or higher. You will need to remove the Firebase dependency in the build.gradle file, this is not required. Remove the following dependencies:
apply plugin: 'com.google.firebase.crashlytics' implementation 'com.google.firebase:firebase-core:20.1.1' implementation 'com.google.firebase:firebase-crashlytics-ktx' implementation 'com.google.firebase:firebase-analytics-ktx'
Remove this if you are building the application for devices that do not support Google Services.
apply plugin: 'com.google.gms.google-services' implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-vision:20.1.3'
The project should compile normally.
Android devices use WebView to render webpages, This WebView does not have full feature parity with Chrome for Android and therefore pages that render in Chrome may not render nicely in Wall Panel. For example, WebView that shipped with Android 4.4 (KitKat) devices is based on the same code as Chrome for Android version 30.
This WebView does not have full feature parity with Chrome for Android and is given the version number 22.214.171.124. If you find that you cannot render a webpage, it is most likely that the version of WebView on your device does not support the CSS/HTML of that page. You have little recourse but to update the webpage, as there is nothing to be done to the WebView to make it compatible with your code.
Setting WallPanel as the default Home application will always load this application as your home. Removing this feature is difficutl without uninstalling the application. So please do this is you wish to use the application as a "kiosk" type application.
All are welcome to propose a feature request, report or bug, or contribute to the project by updating examples or with a PR for new features. Thanks to all the contributes who have contributed to the project!