PostHog is an open-source suite of product and data tools, built for engineers
- Specify events manually, or use autocapture to get started quickly
- Analyze your data with visualizations and session recordings
- Improve your product with A/B testing and feature flags
- Keep control over your data by deploying PostHog on your infrastructure
- Use apps to connect to external services and manage data flows
Table of Contents
Get started for free
Open-source hobby deploy
Deploy a hobby instance in one line on Linux with Docker (recommended 4GB memory):
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/posthog/posthog/HEAD/bin/deploy-hobby)"
Good for <100K events ingested monthly. See our docs for more info and limitations.
See our enterprise self-hosted docs to deploy a scalable, production-ready instance with support from our team.
We bring together all the tools and data in one place to help you build better products
Product analytics and optimization
- Event-based analytics: capture your product's usage automatically, or customize it to your needs
- User and group tracking: understand the people and groups behind the events and track properties about them
- Data visualizations: create and share graphs, funnels, paths, retention, and dashboards
- Session recording: watch videos of your users' behavior, with fine-grained filters and privacy controls
- Heatmaps: see where users are using your product with the PostHog Toolbar
- Feature flags: test and manage the rollout of new features, target specific users and groups
- A/B and multi-variate testing: run simple or complex changes as experiments and get automatic significance calculations
- Correlation analysis: discover what events and properties correlate with success and failure
Data and infrastructure tools
- Complete control over your data: host it yourself on any infrastructure
- Import and export your data: import from and export to the services that matter to you with apps
- Plays nicely with data warehouses: import events or user data from your warehouse by writing a simple transformation plugin, and export data with pre-built apps - such as BigQuery, Redshift, Snowflake, and S3
Docs and support
Check out our tutorials for step-by-step guides, how-to's, and best practices.
Learn more about getting the most out of PostHog's features in our product manual.
We <3 contributions big and small. In priority order (although everything is appreciated) with the most helpful first:
- Give us feedback in our Slack community
- Vote on features or get early access to beta functionality in our roadmap
- Open a PR (see our instructions on developing PostHog locally)
- Submit a feature request or bug report
Our mission is to increase the number of successful products in the world. To do that, we build product and data tools that help you understand user behavior without losing control of your data.
In our view, third-party analytics tools do not work in a world of cookie deprecation, GDPR, HIPAA, CCPA, and many other four-letter acronyms. PostHog is the alternative to sending all of your customers' personal information and usage data to third-parties.
PostHog gives you every tool you need to understand user behavior, develop and test improvements, and release changes to make your product more successful.
PostHog operates in public as much as possible. We detail how we work and our learning on building and running a fast-growing, product-focused startup in our handbook.
Open-source vs. paid
Come help us make PostHog even better. We're growing fast and would love for you to join us.